What is a Mine Roller?
A mine roller is a device that is attached to either a tank or an armoured vehicle with the aim of scoping an area or route to provide a level of confidence that no victim activated explosive ordnance including land mines are present. Mine rollers have several heavy wheels and can have short projecting steel grinders. These grinders allow a higher ground pressure and therefore ensures the explosion of pressure activated devices such as mines.
The Armtrac Mine Roller is used when there is a possibility, rather than a probability, of a victim operated device being present. The mine roller protects vehicles and civilians from the attack as the device is full width proving and comprises of 2 sets of roller banks each with 7 rollers, providing a level of confidence to the vehicle. Following the use of the mine roller system, the threat assessment can be revised which contributes to the land release or route proving process.
- Protects humans and civilians as the mine roller is at the front of the tank/armoured vehicle
- Can cover a large area quickly.
- Can be used to transfer up to 4000Kg of weight onto the wheels in order to generate sufficient force to be able to trigger victim operated devices.
- When not route proving, rollers can also be lifted off the ground providing greater speed and flexibility.
- Can be steered in different directions and negotiate moderate corners whilst still covering thefull width of ground in front of the vehicle.
- Can be used over a range of different terrains.In the event of a smaller explosion, only the roller will be damaged which is easily replaced.
- In event of a significant explosion, the complete roller bank is designed to sheer off the main frame at the weakest point but is equally easily replaceable.
For more information about the demining equipment Armtrac manufacture, or about the service, maintenance and training we also provide, visit our site or feel free to contact us by email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us 01638 743979.